Sunday, December 11, 2005

Cyclones to Credit cards

Tring-Tring, it went on.... While I was about to hang up, the phone came to life with my mom's voice enveloping the whole receiver. Initial pleasantries being taken care of, we plunged heads on- the impending cyclone, the disquieting lull before the storm stories and of what will be the perilous effects of rain on the existing drainage systems. Oh My God! I dwelled on the thought.

As I listened, I heard my mom say something amazing.

Me: What???? my voice reverberated on the phone.
Mom:
"Yes..
she continued, "you know... just like how the US has names for all their hurricanes, the TN govt have started naming the cyclonic depressions lingering over the bay of bengal.
Me: OK, what's this one which is about to hit Chennai called then? I inquired

A faint crackle in the line, I waited for a minute and barked 'heelooo, you there? '
'Ahhnnn yaaa-- I am still holding the line'
she said.

Mom: Fanoos...
Fanoooosss? What kind of a name is that??? I wondered. Seemed to rhyme with Aappooosss, a mango variety, which any lover of the fruit would give their right arm for!?
Me: Do you know what it means?? SILENCE. I visualized the golden silence as a*shrug*
Me: Oh! well, that's an interesting name, my inner voice ruled.

Now, why was I surprised?

Was it that our very own state and/or country wasn't capable of innovating names for something as simple as the once-in-a-blue-moon cyclones?
OR
Was the strong unshakable feeling of aping the West monopolizing my thought process so much, that I couldn't appreciate a genuine attempt at bettering our existing infrastructure ?
OR
Was it owing to the enough number of cyclones hitting the TN coast (like one in the last 30 years!!) that it didn't really warrant such emphasis??

Does the naming of hurricanes/cyclones belong to the West exclusively? Has living in the West for the last few years changed our beliefs in the capabilities of our own motherland??? Doesn't naming cyclones evince a modern era of nouveau endeavours?

On a tangetial note, I heard someone telling me, "Now-a-days, establishments accept credit cards in India! Well, weren't they all along? I remember parents, uncles and aunts using it way long before now, about 15 years ago. What about a co-worker who relegated India by querying if electricity was a *normal utility* in all major towns? Major Towns?!? Even small towns like Mannargudi and Kuttanallur does, even cable television! I was so overcome with flabbergast that it took me almost a full minute to regain my composure, and to think about where to start.

So, how come you speak English fluently?.... Does India have a similar concept to fresh juices? Aren't most people in India afflicted with AIDS and tuberculosis?? Is this.. Is that...? I listened to all of it, in a state of fuzz.

So, do we doubt
what India is capable of?

Doesn't naming cyclones, having electricity in Kuttanallur, CC swiping facilities in even potti
sized shops AKA kadais, having a genre of tropicana OJ's (better tasting ones, may I say?) and what nots evince a modern era of nouveau endeavours?

2 comments:

Manohar said...

True-- increased awareness. More power to India.

Vijayakumar Anandhan said...

Hi

It's funny while reading about Fanoos, is it true.

About mannargudi which u refered, It's my home town comparatively better place than mumbai suburbs, Mumbai-currently where I am living with daily power cuts and bomb scares, Infrastructure wise tamilnadu is the top and best in india