Tuesday, December 06, 2005

0.2 Vs 26.2

What is it with Human Beings and Marathons??

Why on earth would one want to agonize themselves (not to mention others) by increasing their heart rate enough to slip into a world of mild delusions? Their body endures so much that sometimes it begs itself: STOP! Please don't do this to me...

There have been times in the past, when running was a way of life for me. I built up from as little as walking for 10 minutes on the treadmill (some huffs, puffs and stopped promptly fearing an impending heart attack!) progressing to 40-50 minutes continuous run (*just* huffs & puffs). But not for 5 HRS at a stretch?!?

The thought why one might want to go down this torturous path struck me as odd some 7 months ago, when Manu started preparing for his first marathon ever. I saw him go through this ordeal quite painstakingly, yet with considerable perseverance. His endurance baffled me to the extent that I stopped running- so I could compensate for the 'heart rate monitors, footpod, miles & calories burnt' talks around us all the time... *grin* I enjoyed seeing him prepare! I was proud and extremely so, at what Manu had accomplished on his own, just by following a first time runners manual. But I wasn't so sure if the end justified the means. Are such inflictions of pain on the self worthwhile? *blink blink*

The same thought crossed my mind last weekend, when I saw Sriks finish his marathon. Once again, I was a silent witness to yet another similar ordeal of prepping up for the ultimate challenge. The minute I saw Sriks cruise the finish line, I was honestly elated at his feat but the same thought came back to haunt me.
Why? Why this...?
This tormenting of the soul (sole?!) and the body was largely enough to render oneself sick, for *atleast* a week following the marathon *deep sigh at the lack of answers to this never ending toil of mine*

Bragging about training is one thing while actually carrying it through is another! Fortunately, I was a bewitched spectator to both Manu and Sriks's marathon experience. The fact that indeed amazed me were their inimitable qualities of being diligent, focussed and amazingly motivated (although one too many times, distraction played havoc) . I was really taken in with it, highly impressed to be honest, but would I go beyond my physical capability to do something like this?-- Highly Doubtful !

Well, I really am a little dumbstruck when I see people corroding pieces off their body for the sake of a race (Are they really? Is it just a race?) True that it's a great deal, but a satisfaction which can't be experienced elsewhere without horrendous irksome after-effects?

Well, make no mistake here! Am thrilled beyond words for both of them, and wish them tons of luck in all their coming ones. Perhaps a lesser mileage would be less threatening to the body?!

How about 0.2 Mls as against 26.2 Mls? Easier for the Marathoners, Us and the Body!

Something to think about, Eh??

6 comments:

Manohar said...

Knowledge acquired at the end of 16 years of education, while tremendous, is not unachievable. Each year of study we are taught in increments with the prev year as foundation.

Similarly the endurance needed to run for 5-6 hours is not something that the body achieves overnight. It is from months of training with small increments and well proven theories... so I guess everything when broken down to simple steps that when done over and over across a span of time yields results that seem stupendous.

Can't answer your question of why one would want to do it in a general way. The answer depends on the individual- for some its the love of running, for others its the challenge, perhaps the knowledge that dedication and discipline play a major role.... I don't know - but for me its running.

Maybe someday I want to do 50 miles and even perhaps 100. No bets there yet... those are still dreams. But for now a sub 4 hour marathon in the next 2 years is daunting enuff to keep me from getting bored

BrainWaves said...

Remember the same question could/will be asked about 50 minute runs.

For me, I was driven by the concept. I was hoping to leverage the little discipline/dediction I learnt to put in marathon to other walk of life.(which according to me I lack)

Since I did not have any serious injury during the entire process, I cannot comment about testing the human limits. Mano can answer about that for sure.

Meera Manohar said...

Manu/Sriks,

I agree with the small doses improving the stamina. I have been through that and still am every week when I 'try' to up my mileage or speed. I also totally comprehend the transtion being slower and gradual preparing the body for the D-day. But still.. WHY??

Also,isn't there a rather huge difference between running 50 minutes and 5 Hours? No one can compare both of these because:

1. One doesn't pain themselves too much after a 50 minute run. There's pain yes, but not enough to disrupt your daily life.

2. See the state of the body after a marathon practice run (say a 10-12 miler) ? How do u guys feel? Is it justified enough to pain yourselves so much over a mere run?

Being disciplined is very good, but aren't there other non-self-torturing ways to achieve it? I kinda agree that certain things work for some people but still...

sdpal said...

DAaay..
Uttalakkadi giri giri
Saidapettai vada kari
Uttaambaaru jaangiri..

Ennaame! Inna? Odambu eppdi keedhu!
Aven aven.. badaa bejaar panni,
kaal nova, kai nova.. odunaa..
Innaa dhegiriyam irundhaa, ramdoss kanakkaa enaathukku odurennu, naaku mele pallu pottu ketpe ?
Huh! hUh! HUnH!

Batta.. raavale.. thanaiya vootukku enga rootu valiya thaana povanum! Unna anga vachikeeren!
Mavane! (Oops! mavale.. sounds bad!)

Manohar said...

To quote Dean Karnazes:

"Our civilization today seems to wrongly equate comfort with happiness."

Meera Manohar said...

In your words, Hmmppphhh!(I am crossing my arms and looking at U wierdly!!!)