Thursday, February 02, 2006

Rumour has it....

...that I chat incessantly. Arghhhhh!!!

Hosur road being one of the busiest in Bangalore, had all kinds of imaginable sized trucks plying through it almost anytime of the day. Notorious for
its nerve wracking traffic, it will be an understatement to state it a riders, drivers nightmare. More often than not, office goers and some perfectly jobless blokes (Me??) ended up arriving late at their respective jaunts. After many years, one of the first "malls" sprung up, and Bengalooru Mahanagara Palike found the exact place to house it...our good ol' Hosur Road, adding insult to injury!! The structure was huge and living just a stones throw away from the mall didn't do much good either excepting allowing a good 30 minutes to cross the traffic signal.

The mall had all the major chains-- Mcdonalds, Coffee day, Barista, Khadder, Levi's, Lee, Peter England, Van Heusen, Allen Solly and the likes! It had a 10 theatre multiplex coming up (which I heard has upped the wait time to almost 35-45 minutes now) and had a huuuuge food court with lip smacking food tugging at our hearts.

We paid a visit to the mall about once a week or so, and that week-end was no different. Manu & I had no specific agenda in hand and just wanted to be a part of the feverish festive spirit, a year around hallmark. We hopped aboard the escalator and escalated to the 2nd floor, and started walking towards one end of the mall. I was excited that particular morning about some mundane thing that was happening at college, and started talking. I heard some validation from my counter part by way of an occassional hmmm.. right.. totally.. is that so? so on and so forth. After a while, the sounds stopped which of course I hadn't reliased. I kept talking and weirdly didn't turn to look to my side the whole time. After a while, the conversation ceased to sound interesting even to my own ears, and needless to state-- restraint was the keyword. I turned to look around and was startled to find some strange looking creature next to me. Where was Manu, my trusted comrade at all times??

My eyes rested on this person's face. He was about as tall as me, bore no resemblance to my better-half and was differently built. Looking around, I pondered if offering an explanation would be appropriate at this juncture. He broke my thought process "It really was interesting to hear you talk about all that stuff, I am sure the intended recipient missed a wonderful commentary", and he walked away.
My Oh My!! Commentary?? Who was this guy, and what in god's name had he listened to?? I spun around in a swift motion my eyes scanning the crowd, and there he was strolling like he had all the sweet time in the world. I waited impatiently while he came towards me with a contended look on his face.

Where were you?? I yelped.
"I had to go the bathroom, didn't I tell you?
Tell me? What had he been thinking?? My comrade and partner had just left me in the lurch while another guy had come alongside me listening to all my rubbish rants. Manu burst out laughing when he saw what was coming much to my chagrin, while I was literally choking on the possibility of an identity theft! My head in a fuzzy state, ultimately I gave up... convinced of my innocence!

We dawdled the rest of the day away while I kept checking from time to time, and it was indeed "the bathroom escaper" I was talking to.

Rumour has it
that the 'unintended recipient' got an idea or two, and ended up becoming a successful entrepreuner having listened to my unceasing ranter!

*Hmmmpphhh* Me+Incessant Talking=Concealed gains

O! Merciful Lord, please do pardon these ignorant mortals for they discern nothing of the greatness of being blessed with a quick mind, an indefatigable tongue and unrelentless vocal chords!




8 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Given your reputation for encrypting the conversation (by jumping between multiple threads seamlessly), identity theft is not a possibility.

Rumor has it that Mano's bathroom story itself is a cover-up :)

Meera Manohar said...

Cover up!?! Says who-- the bathroom escaper?? *look of contempt*

Mad Max said...

hey meera...thanks for visiting my blog..do u have any recordings of urs with thillana...would love to listen to em..if u do have em please post them online...cheers

Meera Manohar said...

Anup,

Thanks for visiting. I have mailed you with regards to this...

Murali Venkatraman said...

haha..enjoyed the blog meera. I am requesting exactly the same thing that anup has. I am wondering if I could have any of your recordings.

Meera Manohar said...

Thnx Murali,

You can visit my audioblog (which incidentally has just taken flight) at http://swarasthaanam.blogspot.com

Jo said...

LOL!!!

BlueByrd said...

You write well period !!! Backed by an above-the-average vocabulary your arsenal sure is a force to be reckoned with :) Made an interesting read. The thing that readily comes to my mind when i think of the garden city these days is the insane traffic, the dust & diesel, THE GRIME....its horrendous !!!