Monday, January 09, 2006

Mysterious machines

What the hell was wrong with this ATM card?? my slowly growing impatient mind thought.

I had checked the card in not one, but two ATM machines just to make sure that I wasn't bungling up the ATM pin. I was growing restless by the second and didn't really make an effort to disguise it. Shoppers at Safeway were nonetheless amused at my huffs, puffs and almost literal bangings to confirm if ATM was indeed working! Each time I got to the point where the required amount was to be disbursed, the machine sported the most nettling noise ever made on the face of the earth!!! At one point I even wondered if this machine had something resembling a 'mute' button, akin to a husband's mouth or a TV remote. I waited, and tried a few more times. Evidently with no luck whatsoever, my patience ran out.

Since the machines did not quite fulfill their job requirement, I decided to do something about it. With an air of nonchalance, I started wandering aimlessly in front of the in-store branch, a rather desperate attempt at catching someone's eye in the process! Ultimately, my aimlessness had its much intended effect, for 'someone' did take notice and asked me "Ma'm, may I help you? Ah! yes.... I volunteered, best explaining the situation. She listened intently while I tried to explain, although her few clandestine glances towards the machines were not lost on me. She assured me that the ATM's were working just fine & I tired to convince her of the machine's almost virtual non-existence at that very moment!! Finally, some appeasement ushered in, and the bank teller offered to help me at her window.

Relieved, I gladly sat and decided to rip open the envelope which contained the cheque to be deposited. Having applied too much crude, instant glue (Ahem, our good ol' Saliva) it proved quite a struggle to un-glue it. Now that I think about it, possibly it was more of the bank teller watching me intently that made me try to rip the already pasted envelope neatly, rather than my own crappy ways!? Enough was enough, I ripped it open with a thousand shreds flying in all directions, forming a soft white carpet at my chair's perimeter. Unminding of the trash around me, I handed over the deposit slip and the cheque to her, a little too gingerly perhaps. She managed to smile and asked me if I was from Tamil Nadu. I looked up and it was then that I caught her name on the lapel pin. Nair it said.... Wow! I thought, a fellow Keralite and my joy knew no bounds!!!

Yes, I answered, creeping out of my joy zone. She nodded, an all knowing smile ornating her lips. She volunteered information about herself and I did too, maybe just a teeny weeny bit, enough to forget my total abysmal failure at the machine earlier! Just as she was finishing up with the transaction, I indicated about a cash withdrawal and she handed me the slip which I started filling out. Unsure of one of my account numbers, I asked her if I could swipe my ATM card inorder for her to pull up my account information. I swiped my card and hung on, but her face registered a blank look indicating her screen was as blank if not more than her! I wondered, what is this? a hatrick or something? Just as I was about to swipe it again, she steered in my direction "Is that what you are using to draw out money?" I gallantly said "yeeesss, this is what I use". She then blurted out amidst giggles "I think you need to use your ATM card and not your CREDIT CARD for this". I looked down and grinned, shame engulfing me!

I made small talk until she handed over the cash, but her face registered immense gratification at having found out the real reason for the mysterious non-response of the ATM.

Well, so many before and after me were successful in having utilized its services, right?

I made sure I had the correct amount in hand, tucked it safely away in the dark corners of my wallet, and said my final good bye's to the lady who broke the da-vinci code. She wished me "Happy New Year", and please come back and see me sometime! I gave her a thumbs up meaning 'you betcha'! As my head turned, I heard a voice saying "Make sure to use your ATM card with these machines the next time you want to use its services!" I smiled, mumbling some vague godforsaken reason for my non-compliance with simple ATM rules and ambled along.

What she probably missed was my smirk in response to her humble request. She just couldn't pass up the opportunity, could she? Atleast she only pointed it out. If I were her, well well......

Well-Done Missy!?! I hollered inside...

8 comments:

Manohar said...

Actually you *can* use your credit card in an ATM machine to draw out money. But obv the pin will be different and the money drawn out is treated as a loan with a heft interest rate.

I remember *rofl* when you told me about this incident. :)

Meera Manohar said...

Yeah, I know that.

One should know that they are using the CC and NOT the ATM card for it to hit home, in the first place!!!

SmileDragon said...

That was a great story! Sounds like something I would do.

Meera Manohar said...

Smiledragon, thanks for taking the time to read it!

Lg said...

Dear Meera - very well-written! I loved the description of the shreds of paper forming a white carpet as well as the allusion to the mute button and the husband's mouth!

Clap, clap.

Meera Manohar said...

*Bows*

I am honoured Echo, and THAT coming from a blogger like u makes it a compliment to be cherished!!

BrainWaves said...

It had all the ingredients of short story. Well written.

Meera Manohar said...

Well, the incident itself lasted not more than 10 minutes, talk about being dramatic!!!

(-: